Any foreigner who wishes to drive in Taiwan must have a valid driver’s license. The only valid licenses are a locally-issued Taiwan driver’s license or an International Driver’s License issued outside Taiwan which has a Permit issued from.
If you will be a resident for more than 6 months, you are advised to obtain a Taiwan driver’s license. Driving without a valid license will invalidate your insurance coverage and make you subject to a fine. Rules and regulations regarding driver’s licenses are changing rapidly and depend upon the driver’s country of origin. For the most current requirements that apply to you, please contact your country’s Embassy, Consulate or Trade Office in Taiwan. One may also go to the websites of Taiwan Motor Vehicles Office.
Best of all, be sure to always check with your destination consultant on verification of requirements based on your home country status before your arrival. Below are the current requirements to obtain Driving License:
1. Driver’s license by passing the Road and Written Tests with the below:
- A.R.C (minimum one year duration and a valid passport).
- A learner permit (at least three months learning experience) or Original Driver License or International Driver’s License.
- Three each 1 inch photo taken in recent six months to the following specification:
- glossy printing paper;
- black and white or color photos;
- no composite photos;
- full face front view with a plain white background;
- no wearing hat or headgear except for religious reasons;
- without dark glasses or glasses with tinted lenses unless it is for medical reasons.
- A registration form with the qualified physical and strength examination.
- Fee: NTD450.
2. The permit of International driver’s license
- Valid international driving license. (Application has to be made in one’s home country prior to arrival. The Taiwan Motor Vehicle Office only admit International Driving license issue by American Automobile Association (AAA) and National Automobile Club (NAC). You can apply for the International Driving License Permit at various locations of Motor Vehicles Supervision Station).
- Passport or A.R.C. Card (over one year residence period)
- One 1 inch photo
- A foreigner holding a valid international driving license issued by our reciprocating countries can drive in Taiwan for 30 days without applying for an international driving permit.
- The expiry date of the driving permit depends on the expiry date of the original international driving license and ARC, whichever expires first.
3. For Chinese citizens, below are the requirements to drive in Taiwan:
- Valid passport – original.
- ARC (alien resident certificate) validity at least 1 year – original.
- Valid Chinese Driving License – original.
- Driving License Certification via Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Straits (China) – original.
- Driving License Certification via Straits Exchange Foundation (Taiwan) – original.
- Three 1 inch color photos within the past six months.
- Basic physical check and eye check held at the Exam division besides MVO office.
Chinese citizens will need to visit the Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Straits in China to apply for the Driving License Certification first, then visit the Straits Exchange Foundation in Taiwan to apply for the Driving License Certification. Both certificates are required along with Exit and Entry Permit of Taiwan (EEP) that needs the validity at least 1 year. Upon obtaining all required documents, you can enroll for the knowledge test in Taipei MVO, no road test required!
Learn more about learning to drive in Taiwan here.