New Zealand Guide

Having made the decision to move to New Zealand there are a number of important practical decisions to face. Even if you have been offered a relocation package within your employment package you will still have a number of choices and decisions to make about relocating your family and household belongings. This section is a brief guide to assist you in making some of the major decisions you are likely to face.

Shipping & Removals

Moving house can easily be full of headaches and moving around the world to a new country presents a new range of possible problems. To avoid delays and damage to your furniture and belongings it is well worth using a professional and experienced international carrier. The relocation package being offered by your company may well offer you the choice of removal companies.

When comparing quotes make sure they are all based on the same specifications including the type of service you require. We recommend door-to-door service, which includes complete packing and wrapping of all household items that you wish to bring with you, transport, shipping, customs clearance, delivery and unpacking when the belongings reach their destination. Make sure you have a complete inventory list from the packer and that the goods are insured for replacement value at New Zealand prices.

Choosing a Removal Company

If you choose not to use one of the major international removal companies you need to then ensure that the agent you use is a registered member of the Association of International Removers or similar body – this will offer you some protection against mishaps. Check that your goods will go directly to New Zealand rather than via another port for reloading. If your goods are unloaded in another country before New Zealand, they could be easily damaged and also will be subject to stricter customs controls. You will need to specify your port of destination. Reputable agents will have local agents or offices in all major New Zealand ports.

What to Bring

It is never easy to decide what to take with you or leave behind especially when there are children involved who have special attachment to certain items. The following suggestions are only intended as guidelines to assist you in decision making:

  • If you have been offered a relocation package by your employer, it is wise to take full advantage of the space allowed. You may be tempted to completely re-fit your new home with new appliances and fittings once you arrive in New Zealand. While it is possible if you have adequate means it does present considerable expense. Think carefully about what items to bring and what to purchase on arrival.
  • If you have particular taste or preference in furnishings it may well be worth taking favourite items with you. Rare or unusual pieces of furniture have increased value in New Zealand.
  • It is important to include favourite children’s toys and items you are attached to even if they are of sentimental value only. Familiar things often take on a special value in a new and different location. Toys are much more expensive in New Zealand than in many countries

Many of you consider the option of bringing your beloved appliances and televisions with you. The short answer is that it may not be worth all of the effort and expense and they also may not be compatible with NZ requirements.

The domestic electricity supply is 230 volts AC, 50 cycles single phase (2 wire). Plug fittings are 3 flat plug fitting, which are not used in the UK (but are the same as in Australia), although 2 pin razor fittings are found. Sockets are rated at 10 amps. Bayonet lamp fittings are used as well as screw fittings. Appliances bought in the UK can be used, although you will need to have the plug changed, but you cannot use those from the US, Canada or other countries where the voltage is 110, except by using a transformer.

This website provides some good technical information regarding all US appliances, including televisions that are converted to be compatible with NZ systems. The website advises that you can expect to pay approximately US$75 to US$150 per transformer, or more. However, the writer similarly advises against bringing a US television to New Zealand. The same may apply for other countries as well.

There are a number of reasons for this.

  1. Transformers are not readily available from New Zealand appliance retail stores and will need to be purchased online.
  2. Along with a number of transformers, you will also need a surge protector plug per transformer.
  3. Even with the transformers and surge protector, we are advised by local electrical outlets that there is a risk that you could blow up the house circuit board – something that will not go down well with any landlord or property manager!
  4. Finally, the broadcast system built into your television may not be compatible with the NZ/Australia freeview digital broadcast system.

A much better option:

New Zealand televisions are very inexpensive to buy, and SKY television in New Zealand offers both cable and satellite television with a wide range of viewing option packages.
General appliances are also inexpensive in New Zealand. Your designated relocation consultant will be able to advise you on the best local stores close to where you are living.

Furniture & Household Items

As the majority of properties are let unfurnished, expatriates have the choice of importing their furniture or purchasing locally. Larger cities have some rental furniture stores. The majority of New Zealand homes have built in wardrobes.

If a family is staying for two or three years, it is worthwhile bringing china and glass, favourite pieces of furniture, linen and ornaments. Locally produced pure wool carpets and rugs are good value.

Customs Information

Agricultural Restrictions

Those arriving in New Zealand are required to make a declaration to the New Zealand Agricultural authorities using an Agricultural Quarantine Form. Animals, plants, fruit or vegetable products must be declared, as well as whether they have recently visited any farming or forest areas. Travellers must also declare golf clubs, sporting and camping equipment.

Those arriving from countries suffering from certain diseases affecting livestock or plants (e.g. foot and mouth disease) may be required to have items of clothing and produce disinfected, and plants either quarantined or destroyed. Visitors are advised to keep all their shoes in one suitcase, since these items are often disinfected by the authorities.

At the port of arrival all containers are cleared and unpacked or they can travel directly to your new home for unloading if arranged by your moving company. Cane or rush furniture may be taken by the New Zealand quarantine department for treatment; other items will also be inspected. Inspection costs are only payable on items inspected.

The following items are restricted, prohibited or subject to quarantine examination:

  • All foodstuffs, especially animal products including dairy produce and eggs. Remember that food given to you on the plane also falls into this category.
  • Animal products, including ornaments, clothing made from skins, stuffed animals and equipment used with animals e.g. saddles etc.
  • Plant products, seeds, fruit and vegetables are all restricted.

On arrival to New Zealand you will be give a Passenger Arrival Card to declare any items you are bringing into the country that may be prohibited or restricted. If you have any questions or doubts, airline employees can often assist you or you can wait to ask a Customs Official. It is always best to declare anything you are unsure about. If an item is restricted, prohibited or subject to quarantine examination as long as you have declared it you will avoid fines and potential prosecution (unless possessing that item is against NZ law such as illegal drugs).

For more information, you can visit the Ministry for Primary Industries web site:

Duty Free Concessions

Personal effects and clothing, which are worn or have been in use and not intended for re-sale may be imported without paying duty.

For more information, you can visit the Customs website:

Prohibited / Restricted Imports

The importation of firearms is strictly controlled and requires a Police permit. Sporting guns must be registered with the Police on the visitor’s arrival. The importation of certain types of weapons such as flick knives, swordsticks and knuckle-dusters is prohibited.

Other prohibited goods include ivory in any form, coral, turtle or tortoise shell products.

No food, either fresh or processed may be imported undeclared. The same applies to plants and seeds.

For further information please visit:


Opening a Bank Account before arriving in New Zealand

You can open a New Zealand bank account online and prior to your arrival in New Zealand. Below are the weblinks to major New Zealand Banks that will walk you through this process.





Eftpos cards: In some countries an eftpos card is called a debit-plus card. Once you have set up your accounts, you can pre-order your eftpos cards and have them sent to the branch closest to your place of work, ready to collect when you arrive.

Transferring funds and account activation: You can transfer funds into your new account, while you are still overseas. However, you cannot make payments or withdrawals from that account until after you have arrived in New Zealand. The reason for this is because once you arrive in NZ you will need to provide physical identification of your pre-NZ address. Acceptable documents include a bank statement, utility bill, or insurance document. These documents need to be dated within the last three months.

Identification: You will also need to present one other form of identification. A passport is recommended. Follow this link to information on acceptable forms of identification.

Once you have arrived in New Zealand

When you arrive in New Zealand, and want to activate your bank account, make an appointment with the bank branch closest to your office or home. Take with you any questions you have about banking in New Zealand.

Opening a Bank Account after you arrive in New Zealand

You may wish to wait until you have arrived in New Zealand to open a bank account.

Again, make an appointment with the bank branch closest to your office or home. If you do not open an account until you arrive in New Zealand you will need to provide physical evidence of a permanent address in New Zealand. For example, a signed lease agreement PLUS one other form of ID, such as your passport. If you are staying in a hotel or serviced apartment accommodation, you just need a letter from the management to confirm that you are staying there.

Bank staff can assist you to organise credit cards and other banking options. Due to New Zealand privacy laws and protection against fraud, your designated relocation consultant can advise but not assist you with the opening – or closing – of a bank account.

If you are finding all this a little overwhelming and would like some assistance with your banking decisions, set up, transfer of funds etc.; or just someone to talk to, to help you decide what you would like to do, we can help. We can arrange for a New Zealand migrant banking expert to contact you directly to discuss your needs further. They can assist with bank set up.

The banking expert will liaise with our office to arrange an appointment for you to meet with your own personal banking assistant at a time that suits you as soon as you land in New Zealand.

Once you have arrived in New Zealand:

When you arrive in your new city your relocation consultant will meet with you and take you to your appointment at the bank where you will need to provide physical proof of identification to activate your accounts. If a rental property has already been secured for you, they will take a copy of the lease agreement to provide proof of permanent address. If however, you are still in temporary accommodation, you will need to get a letter from the hotel / temporary accommodation where you are staying to confirm that you are indeed a guest at their premises.

Remember to take with you:

  • Letter confirming proof of temporary address
  • Your passport (It is helpful to take your visas as well)
  • A New Zealand contact phone number. (As your international mobile number will not be accepted, it is a good idea to get your NZ mobile phone number sorted before you visit the bank)
  • Proof of the income you will be earning in New Zealand
  • It may also be useful to obtain a credit reference from your own bank in your country of origin - particularly if you are wishing to obtain a credit card.

When you visit with your personal banker at the bank in your new city, they will be able to:

  • When you visit with your personal banker at the bank in your new city, they will be able to:
  • Tell you whether your debit cards have arrived, and how to use them
  • Assist with credit cards (if you need them)
  • Provide assistance with transfer of funds into your new account (if you have not already done this online)
  • Help you to set up and automatic payments or direct debits
  • Provide instruction on how to use online banking and answer any other questions you may have.

Contact Us if you would like us to provide you with this banking assistance and/or connect you with a New Zealand banking expert


Mail Redirection / Setting Up a Post Office Box

Setting up a Post Office Box:

Some of you may want to set up a Post Office Box for your mail to be sent to.

Unfortunately, you cannot set up a P O Box until you arrive in the country. When you arrive in New Zealand, You will need to go to the post shop and present photo ID such as your passport and proof of address where you will be living (e.g. a copy of your lease). At that point, you can set up your new post office box and mail can be directed to your new address.

Mail redirection:

You can however have your mail redirected before you arrive in the country regardless of whether you want your mail to go to a house of post office box address, once you are settled.

Until you have a permanent address, you can have your mail directed to c/- of the post shop counter. You do not need to advise the Post shop that mail will be sent in your name. Staff will hold the mail at the Post Shop until you arrive in New Zealand to collect your mail.

To redirect your mail you will need the address for the post shop in the area nearest to where you will be living. Your designated relocation consultant can help you with this information.

Address the mail to:

C/- Counter Delivery
Location and name of the PostShop
Street and postal address
Name of city + postal code
New Zealand

When you arrive in New Zealand, go into the post shop where your mail has been sent. You will need to present your photo ID (passport) and then you can collect your mail. Your relocation consultant can take you to the Post Shop when you first arrive, to collect your mail and organise a Postal Box if you require one.

Changing to a New Zealand Mobile Phone

Using international cellphones in New Zealand is very expensive. A single (short) phone call can cost upwards of NZ$15.00 or USD$13.00. Sending text messages using an international mobile phone is similarly very costly. Therefore, as soon as you arrive in New Zealand, you will need to arrange for a New Zealand contact mobile phone number for our Relocation Consultant to contact you on.

Your designated Relocation Consultant can assist you with suitable mobile phone outlets where staff can swap the SIM card in your phone to be compatible with a New Zealand network SIM card. A Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card is a portable memory chip that holds all of your personal information, including your phone number, address book, text messages, and other data.

What you need to do before leaving your home of origin:

Before you leave your home of origin, you will need to check that your phone is unlocked, so that you can change your phone SIM card when you arrive in New Zealand. This can be easily checked by going in to your local mobile phone service provider.

Alternatively: If your phone cannot be unlocked or you do not wish to swap the SIM card in your current phone for an NZ compatible one, your designated Relocation Consultant can suggest suitable phone outlets where you can purchase a new phone.


Obtaining an IRD Number

If you need to obtain an IRD number, we can assist you as part of your relocation assistance package.

If IRD registration is not part of your approved relocation assistance, you will need to complete an Inland Revenue Form -IR595. This can be downloaded online.

As part of your application, you will need to provide the following documents:

  1. One original and one legible photocopy of your Overseas passport with New Zealand immigration visa / permit (please photocopy the pages showing photo, name, any pages showing current work, visitor permits, or residency documentation and a specimen signature)


  1. One original and one legible photocopy of one of the following:
  • A letter confirming registration as a student in New Zealand
  • An "offer of employment" letter from your employer, on their company letterhead
  • International Drivers' Permit (issued by a member country of the UN Convention on Road Traffic)
  • Overseas Drivers' Licence (accompanied by an English translation completed by an LTNZ authorised translator, if not already in English)

Once you have completed the form, you will need to take your original documents as well as the photocopies of each document, to your nearest Automobile Association (AA) or Postshop.

Click on the links below to find the nearest AA or postshop to you.

The original documents and application form will be returned to you. The rest of the documentation will be sent to the New Zealand Inland Revenue. Make sure you complete thewhole form including signature and date, verifying that the information you have provided is true and correct, where applicable.

You can expect to receive a letter from the Inland Revenue within about 8-10 working days.


Heathcare in New Zealand

If you are coming to New Zealand on a work visa for two years or more, you will be covered by the New Zealand medical system and therefore subject to the doctors and prescription charges and free hospital and emergency care as other kiwis.

However, if you have a work visa and are only in New Zealand for a short term assignment (e.g. less than two years) you are not covered by the New Zealand medical system and will need to organise Medical Insurance for yourself.

Everyone in New Zealand is covered for Accidents which happen in New Zealand by the NZ government system called Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC). This however may not cover ongoing treatment and return travel home etc. so it is best to have medical insurance if you are in NZ short term.

Medical Records

It is advisable to bring with you your medical records and those of any dependents including inoculation records for children.

Finding a doctor

When you arrive you will also need to register with a local medical practitioner. Unfortunately, many doctors and medical centres are full to capacity in terms of the number of patients they have on their books. You may have to ring around several different establishments or go on a waiting list. Therefore, the sooner you begin organising a healthcare professional, the better. Your relocation Consultant can provide you with contact details of medical practitioners and centres close to where you will be living.

Read more about giving birth and registration of birth/nationality.

Renting in New Zealand

Upfront Monies Required for a Rental Property

There are several costs that must be met prior to move in and in order to secure a rental property, whether that property is an apartment, a townhouse or a stand-alone house. They include Rent in Advance, a Letting fee and Bond.

Rent in advance is usually 2 weeks’ rent in advance. A letting fee is another name for agent’s fee and is the equivalent of one week’s rent. The other upfront cost required to secure a rental property is the bond.

The bond is money that the tenant (or their employer) pays at the beginning of a tenancy agreement, to cover any costs that may be owed to the landlord or agent at the end of the lease term, such as rent payments in arrears or property damage. The bond comprises up to 4 weeks’ rent and is paid to the landlord or property manager at the same time that the rent in advance and letting fee is paid. A bond is not the same as money that is paid to hold the property while the tenants decide whether or not to rent it (tenancy law calls this an ‘option to enter into a tenancy agreement’ or an ‘option fee’).

The maximum amount of money a tenant can be charged under an ‘option’ is 1 week’s rent. If the tenant then decides to rent the property, the money must be refunded or put towards rent.

The landlord is legally required to send the bond monies to the Government department called the Ministry of Building, Innovation and Employment. The MBIE holds on to the bond until the cessation of the tenancy agreement, and when both parties have agreed that the property has been left in the same condition it was when the tenant first began renting the property.

Tenancy Rights and Responsibilities

A quick guide to understanding New Zealand Tenancy rules, rights and responsibilities.

In New Zealand you and the landlord are protected under the New Zealand Residential Tenancies Act 1986. However, it is important that you understand that you each have certain rights and responsibilities that you must abide by when you enter into a tenancy agreement. Some of these are listed on page 14. We advise that you read the landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities thoroughly before you move into your rental property, as New Zealand tenancy rules and regulations may differ greatly from the country that you are relocating from. Contact us if you have any questions.

Special conditions on a tenancy / lease agreement: Prior to moving in, your consultant will discuss with you your tenancy agreement, your rights and responsibilities as a tenant, and the special conditions that are specific to your tenancy or lease agreement. It is a good idea to read these through thoroughly as well. Make a note of any special conditions that apply while you are living in the property, and note those conditions that apply when it is time for you to leave, such as commercial and carpet cleaning, or damage done by family pets.

We have included here the Tenant and Landlord Rights and Responsibilities so you can familiarise yourself with New Zealand tenancy laws and regulations prior to your arrival.

Tenant and Landlord Rights and Responsibilities

The landlord must:

  • sign a Tenancy Agreement and give the tenant a copy
  • send any bond money, including part payments, to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment within 23 working days and give the tenant a receipt for any payment that is made
  • make sure the property is clean and tidy before the tenant moves in
  • make sure all the locks work and the property is reasonably secure
  • maintain the property and do any necessary repairs
  • ensure the plumbing, electrical wiring and the structure of the building is safe and working
  • provide adequate water collection and storage for premises without reticulated water supply
  • write and tell the tenant at least 60 days before they put the rent up
  • take all reasonable steps to ensure tenants don’t disturb any of the landlord’s other tenants
  • write and tell the tenant if they decide to put the property on the market
  • obtain the tenant’s consent before showing the property to real estate agents, buyers or prospective tenants
  • pay the tenant back for any urgent work the tenant has paid for (as long as the tenant can prove they tried to tell the landlord about the problem before getting it fixed and the tenant didn’t cause it on purpose or by being careless)
  • in relation to a periodic tenancy:
    • give the tenant 42 days’ notice to vacate the property once the sale of the property has gone unconditional, or if the owner or a member of their family needs to move in
    • otherwise, give the tenant 90 days’ notice if they want the tenancy to end
  • give 48 hours’ notice to inspect the property - but not more than once every four weeks and only between the hours of 8am and 7pm (the landlord can come onto the section without giving notice, but must respect the tenant’s privacy)
  • give 24 hours’ notice to do repairs and do them between the hours of 8a m and 7pm.

The landlord can also:

  • enter the property in an emergency without informing the tenant.
  • enter the property at other times if the tenant freely allows.

The landlord must not:

  • ask for more than 4 weeks’ rent as bond
  • ask for more than 2 weeks’ rent in advance, or ask for rent to be paid before it is due
  • inspect the property more than once in every 4 weeks, except to check on work they’ve asked the tenant to do to remedy a breach of the Tenancy Agreement
  • interfere with the tenant’s peace, comfort and privacy
  • interfere with the supply of gas, water, electricity or telephone unless to avoid danger or to enable maintenance or repairs
  • unreasonably refuse to allow a tenant to put up fixtures such as shelves
  • change the locks unless the tenant agrees
  • unreasonably stop a tenant who wants to sublet or assign the tenancy to someone else, unless it is stated in the Tenancy Agreement that the tenant cannot assign or sublet the tenancy
  • evict a tenant (this needs a possession order enforced by the District Court)
  • take the tenant’s belongings as a security for money owed at any time during or after the tenancy or refuse to hand back belongings left behind at the end of the tenancy (provided the tenant pays any actual and reasonable storage costs).

The Tenant must:

  • pay the rent on time (the tenant should not withhold rent even if they think the landlord is breaching the Tenancy Agreement)
  • keep the property reasonably clean and tidy
  • tell the landlord as soon as possible about any damage or anything that needs to be fixed
  • fix any damage they or their visitors cause on purpose or by being careless, or pay for someone to fix it
  • pay for all charges that are exclusively attributable to the tenant’s occupation of the premises, for example telephone, electricity, gas and internet
  • pay for water if the water supplier charges on the basis of consumption
  • make sure the number of people living in the property does not exceed the amount the Tenancy Agreement allows (this does not include people visiting for a short time)
  • give 21 days’ notice to leave (if on a periodic tenancy)
  • let the landlord show prospective tenants, real estate agents, buyers or valuers through the property in a way that suits the landlord and tenant
  • leave at the end of the tenancy and:
    • take away all their belongings
    • leave the property reasonably clean and tidy
    • give back all keys, access cards and garage door openers
    • leave everything the landlord owns.

The Tenant must not:

  • stop the landlord coming into the property when the Act says they can.
  • remain at the property after the tenancy has ended
  • disturb the peace, comfort or privacy of other tenants and neighbours, or allow anyone else at the property to do so.
  • damage, or let anyone the tenant has allowed on the premises damage the property, whether it be on purpose or carelessly.
  • renovate the building, change it or attach anything to it unless this is in the Tenancy Agreement or the landlord agrees in writing.
  • interfere with, or stop from working any means of escape from fire such as smoke alarms
  • transfer the tenancy to someone else, unless the landlord agrees in writing.
  • threaten or assault, or permit any other person to threaten or assault, the landlord, or any member of the landlord’s family, or any agent of the landlord, or another building occupant or neighbour.
  • do anything illegal at the property or let anyone else do anything illegal.
  • change the locks without asking the landlord first.

Unit Title Properties:

Tenancy agreements on unit title properties are subject to body corporate rules. If the property is part of a unit title development (for example, an apartment in an apartment complex):

  • the Tenancy Agreement must set out a statement of any of the body corporate rules that affect the tenant. If you are a tenant and don’t have a copy of the body corporate rules, it is important to ask your landlord for a copy
  • the tenant must obey the body corporate rules applying to the unit title development if they affect them and ensure their guests follow the body corporate rules
  • the landlord must promptly notify the tenant of any variations to body corporate rules affecting the premises. It is a good idea to attach a copy of the most recent body corporate rules to the tenancy agreement


Driving & Driver Licenses

You can drive in New Zealand using an overseas driver’s license for a maximum period of 12 months.

After that time a NZ license must be applied for. At that point you will need to provide proof of address - either a power or telephone account that is being sent to your home address – as well as an English translation if your driver's licence is not in English. If you need your license translated, we will be able to assist you with this, just ask your designated Relocation Consultant.

For more information on Driver Licensing go to:

Keeping safe on New Zealand Roads

Many of you, when you arrive in New Zealand, will be keen to rent or purchase a vehicle, as quickly as possible. However, New Zealand roads are not as straightforward as one might think. NZ roads can be windy, narrow, with few lanes and in some rural areas you will encounter unsealed roads; perhaps even a farmer and his sheep!

New Zealander’s drive on the left hand side, rather than the right hand side of the road. Driving on the opposite side of the road to what you are normally used to (depending on where you have come from) can make it easy for mistakes to be made during a momentary lapse of concentration.

This might not seem like much of a problem. Unfortunately, there are increasing numbers of people from overseas who are involved in serious-to-fatal accidents on NZ roads. The legal consequences, not to mention the tremendous suffering it causes to family and loved ones left behind, is very serious.

We at Woburn International want you to be safe and to enjoy your time in New Zealand. We recommend that you take the time to attend a few refresher driving or defensive driving lessons.

Once you have decided where you are going to live, and have secured a property, your designated relocation consultant will provide you with the contact details for driving and defensive driving companies in your area. They will also be able to provide you with estimated costs of what you can expect to pay for a lesson on driving in New Zealand.

If you are an AA member in your own country you may be able to transfer your membership to New Zealand so it is advisable to check this with your local AA before cancelling a membership.

Being proactive about your driver safety means a happier and safer outcome for everyone.

Importing Vehicles

There are many options for securing a vehicle in New Zealand from car dealerships to car auctions, private sales or leasing options. The information below is for your consideration if you are thinking about importing your own vehicle.

Goods and Services Tax (G.S.T.) of 15% is levied on all vehicles imported into New Zealand. However, first time immigrants may be able to import a vehicle without paying G.S.T., if they are able to satisfy the New Zealand Customs Service that they are taking up permanent residence, have personally owned the car for at least one year prior to bringing the vehicle into the country and give a written undertaking not to sell the car within two years of its arrival in New Zealand.

All vehicles entering New Zealand are subject to a thorough structural and mechanical inspection, which includes new frontal impact regulations, as well as a number of safety checks prior to being cleared to drive in New Zealand. All vehicles are subject to border checks, customs clearance and a quarantine inspection on arrival in the country and will require cleaning if found contaminated. The charges and cleaning (if required) are to be met by the importer of the vehicle. This includes cars and motorcycles that are classed as light vehicles.

It is currently estimated that the total cost for a vehicle to undergo the quarantine inspection and border check, clear Customs, be issued with a VIN, be certified for registration and be registered and licensed is approximately NZ$800 to NZ$1,000. This does not include the Goods and Services Tax (GST.) of 15.0% payable on the value of the vehicle, or the cost of any repairs or repair certification. G.S.T. is also payable on the cost of shipping the vehicle and on the cost of the insurance for shipping the vehicle to New Zealand.

Further information can be obtained from the nearest New Zealand diplomatic mission or your Relocation Consultant. The Land Transport Safety Authority also provides information on importing vehicles on their website in Fact Sheet.


What Insurances Do I Need?

Below is information provided by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment MBIE (Formerly the Department of Land and Housing) The information can be downloaded in pdf form from their website.

It is up to a landlord to insure their rental property against any damage, either through accident or otherwise. That insurance will usually be for the benefit of the landlord only. A tenant should arrange insurance to protect their contents and liability for damage to the landlord’s property.

Advice for tenants

You need insurance. Your landlord’s insurance policy does not protect your belongings.

Under the RTA, tenants are liable for any damage they, or their invited guests, cause intentionally or carelessly.

Even if you are not named on the tenancy agreement, you should have a:

  • Contents insurance policy to protect your belongings
  • Personal liability policy to protect you from any careless damage you or your invited guests may cause to the property.


Churches, Temples. Mosques, and other Spiritual Community Groups

For some people, belonging to a spiritual or religious community is very important, not just for worship reasons but also as a place of community, belonging and making friends and connections of shared minds and ideals; even a connection to back home. If this sounds like you be sure to contact us and we'll assist.

When looking for the right fit, we will need to know the following:

  • Whether you require details of a church, temple, mosque, synagogue or contacts for alternative spiritual community connections
  • What is your spiritual orientation or worship style?


Bringing Pets into New Zealand

General Guidelines

With very few exceptions, only dogs and cats will be allowed into New Zealand. Animals must be free of quarantine restrictions in the country of residence, typically a period of 6 months, prior to departure. Animals must also be fitted with a microchip for identification purposes. Cats and dogs being imported into New Zealand must be no more than 42 days pregnant at the time of departure.


The following breeds and cross-breads of dog are not eligible for importation into the country: American Pit Bull Terrier, Dogo Argentino, Japanese Tosa and Brazilian Fila.

Country-specific Regulations

Australia – No quarantine regulations apply. Required documentation and testing is obtained from any veterinary clinic in Australia.

United Kingdom – An Import Permit is not required. A series of tests and accompanying documentation is required to be completed by your veterinary surgeon before animals may be admitted to New Zealand. No quarantine is required.

South Africa and the United States – animals from these countries are required to go into quarantine on arrival in New Zealand.

Other countries – please check the current status of regulations on the MAF website below or ask your Woburn International Relocation Consultant, as these regulations do change frequently.

Further information may be obtained from New Zealand diplomatic missions or your relocation consultant. You may also find additional information at :

Quarantine Periods & Age of Animal

These do vary from country to country. The following table is a guide on the time required in quarantine on arrival in New Zealand and the minimum age on departure from the country of residence.

Country of OriginAgeQuarantine Period
Australia8 weeksNot required
South Africa9 months120 days
United Kingdom16 weeksNot required
United States of America9 months30 days
*Other CountriesVarying agesVarying requirements

*Please check with your Relocation Consultant or for requirements for other countries as these do vary.


Checklist Before Departure:

NB This list is NOT exhaustive – you should allow for your own particular circumstances and length of stay expected in New Zealand.

Document Checklist

  • Passport with correct validity date for your stay
  • Visa / Residency / Work Permits
  • Travel documents
  • Birth certificates
  • Marriage /divorce certificates
  • Adoption certificates
  • All insurance documents (including travel and proof of no claims bonus from homeland insurance)
  • Relevant qualification or professional certificates
  • Offer of Employment
  • Driver’s license
  • Credit and / or banking references
  • Children’s immunisation records
  • Children’s school reports
  • Medical and dental records
  • Relevant documentation for pets
  • Pension documents if transferring pension to New Zealand
  • Will
  • Records of trusts and companies that will still be operational after you move

Action Checklist

  • Shipment organised for any furniture / goods
  • Car and house – rented / sold or placed in someone’s care.
  • Services / utilities cancelled or transferred
  • Mail redirection organised
  • Direct debits/ automatic payments / bank accounts cancelled or closed
  • Appropriate insurances cancelled
  • Regular deliveries cancelled
  • New Zealand cash for emergencies secured
  • Appropriate authorities notified of your departure
  • Temporary accommodation organised for arrival
  • Smartphone unlocked so SIM can be replaced