By decree of The Cabinet, the period of mourning over the passing of HM the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej has been extended by 15 days to 27th October 2017.
In order to see through the Royal Cremation Ceremonies for the late King, which will run from October 25 to 29, the official one-year mourning period, following the late King’s passing on 13th October 2016, will continue until (and including) Friday 27th October.
National flags at government agencies and Thai embassies will fly at half mast during the extension period, while the general public is expected to wear dark colored clothing and refrain from overt and excessive expressions of emotion or celebration. The actual cremation will be held at the Royal grounds at Sanam Luang on Thursday October 26.
Key timeline of events, some of which may cause temporary traffic disruptions with road closures etc.:
- 13 October – national remembrance services in honor of the 1st anniversary of the death of King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX). Extra public Holiday with office closures.
- 15 October – 2nd general practice run of the funeral procession in Bangkok
- 21 October – 3rd and final general practice run of the funeral procession in Bangkok
- 25 October – 18:00: final night vigil services before the Royal Urn and Coffin at the Dusit Maha Phasat Throne Hall of the Grand Palace, Bangkok
- 26 October – national cremation services. Extra public holiday with office closures.
- 07:00: morning services and farewell ceremony of the Royal Urn and Coffin followed by breakfast
- 09:00 – 11:30: funeral procession from the Dusit Maha Phasat Throne Hall to the Royal Crematorium at the Sanam Luang Royal Plaza
- 16:45: afternoon memorial service
- 17:30: ceremonial first lighting of the funeral pyre and final honours (three-volley salute and 21-gun salute)
- 22:00: royal cremation and outdoor Khonperformances, puppet show and musical concert
- 27 October: day of the removal of the royal ashes and relics
- 10:00: royal procession of the transfer of the royal ashes and relics to the Dusit Maha Phasat Throne Hall of the Grand Palace
- 28 October
- 17:30: final service before the royal relics and ashes
- 29 October
- 10:00: departure honors of the royal relics and procession
- 10:35: ceremony of internment of the royal relics to the Chakri Maha Prasat Throne Hall of the Grand Palace
- 16:00: departure honors of the royal ashes
- 17:40: internment service of the royal ashes at the Royal Cemetery at Wat Ratchabophit followed by a procession to the Wat Bowonniwet Vihara Royal Temple and a final memorial service.